Wednesday 5 December 2018

Guest Blogger #2 (Tesla Model S)

This month I'm very pleased to present John Casey as the Guest Blogger. John is an Electronic Engineer and self-professed early adopter. Living in the Banner County, he has driven dirty diesel [his phrase!] until his EV adoption. John has produced a video review of his car, which you can view below his post.

In May 2017 following a change in work that necessitated more driving I began to look at changing my car. This coincided with the opening of the Tesla showroom in Sandyford so I figured I’d satisfy my curiosity and check out what was on offer.

A few months later I pulled the trigger on the purchase of a new model S 75 which I took possession of on January 2nd. To say it has been a life change is an understatement.

The car has exceeded any expectations I had. Comfortable and so easy to drive, it means that our second car is relegated to the one that is only driven if absolutely necessary. So in fact we have displaced one and a half diesel cars off the road with the Tesla.

The car has, in little over eleven months, clocked up 59,000 kilometers. I benefit from free workplace charging at the various work locations I frequent but I’m now arranging meetings offsite at places with chargers and challenging hotels that have none.


Frosty mornings now present no suffering due to the preheat function available from the phone app. The long journeys are further enhanced by the Autosteer feature on the car. This has eliminated fatigue and made this driving inherently safer.

Yes, driving an EV has its drawbacks. I plan my itinerary around chargers on the road. I check and check again charger statuses. I’m fortunate enough that my 300 kilometer range allows me to drive by some busy ones to the next one. I’ve had little waiting for a charge. But would I change back to a fossil fuel car? Not a chance. I’ve seen the future and will drive into it smoothly.


No comments:

Post a Comment